At the suggestion of Wanderin Weeta, I thought I'd see whether I could get a positive ID on this large mushroom to see whether it is edible, or at least try the "rub a bit on the lip and wait 15 minutes" experiment. The top of the cap was positively slimey, and was pecked with small holes, so appetizing this was not. Curiosity got the best of me, and I hoped to at least determine the edibilitiy of this for next year.
As I started poking the mushroom apart, I noticed quite a few of the critters responsible for the numerous holes I found
Seeing all these critters claiming this fungus as their home (as well as the tunnel laden cap) kinda turned me off to the idea of even tasting it. I'll try to pick one out next year a little earlier in the season to try my taste test.