Sunday, October 30, 2011

mycological metropolis

At the suggestion of Wanderin Weeta, I thought I'd see whether I could get a positive ID on this large mushroom to see whether it is edible, or at least try the "rub a bit on the lip and wait 15 minutes" experiment.  The top of the cap was positively slimey, and was pecked with small holes, so appetizing this was not.  Curiosity got the best of me, and I hoped to at least determine the edibilitiy of this for next year.

As can be seen on the underside, the stem has been rotted/eaten away.  It's surprising it was standing at all.

As noted yesterday, this bolete has pores on the underside, rather than gills.

A cross section of the pores, which really are long tubes.

One of the identifying traits of mushrooms are scabers, or protrusions from the stem.  Not sure if these protrude enough to be called scabers though.

As I started poking the mushroom apart, I noticed quite a few of the critters responsible for the numerous holes I found

A tiny centipede, no more than a couple centimetres in length.

A springtail (?)

Some kind of maggot.

A larger centipede...not sure if a mature form of the smaller white one, or a different species.

Seeing all these critters claiming this fungus as their home (as well as the tunnel laden cap) kinda turned me off to the idea of even tasting it.  I'll try to pick one out next year a little earlier in the season to try my taste test.

2 comments:

Susannah Anderson said...

That was always the problem with the boletes I used to pick. About two thirds of them were buggy; much more than I would find with other mushrooms.

Birds like them, too. So do squirrels. The early bird, in this case, doesn't get the worms.

zoltan said...

Those maggots can't be worse than the live grasshoppers!
I need you to come over and diagnose our gigantic mushrooms. One would easily fit smurfette and papa smurf..